Call for Self-funded Fellows for the 2022 IDEA (Innovation, Disruption, Enquiry, Access) Institute on Artificial Intelligence
Applications for Self-funded Fellows (Due: March 4, 2022)
We invite applications for the second IDEA (Innovation, Disruption, Enquiry, Access) Institute on Artificial Intelligence (AI). We are seeking library and information professionals interested in enhancing and applying their knowledge of AI in their workplace, to participate in the Institute.
The IDEA Institute offers a one-week of intensive learning and practical experience in AI applications in library and information environments. The second Institute will be held at The University of Texas at Austin on July 10-15, 2022 (dates are tentative, pending COVID-19 circumstances).
We are seeking 5 Self-funded Fellows. Our priority is to recruit and create a cohort of Fellows who will represent diverse socio-demographic backgrounds, types of positions, types of libraries, and capacities of implementing AI in their workplace. We are recruiting applicants who:
- are enthusiastic to learning, evaluating, and applying AI in library and information environments;
- are committed to learning web coding and statistics fundamentals during the Pre-Institute Onboarding program;
- are committed to participating in the online Pre-Institute Onboarding Program (10-15 hours contact time over three months) and post-Institute activities (e.g., project presentations and implementation);
- can attend the 2022 IDEA Institute in Austin, Texas, for one week.
Program fee: estimated $300 (To be confirmed). Self-funded Fellows will additionally be responsible for the cost of their housing, transportation, and non-program meals.
Required Application Materials
- Statement of purpose (maximum 250 words or 1,500 characters)
- Personal statement (maximum 250 words or 1,500 characters)
- Vision statement (maximum 250 words or 1,500 characters)
- Brief description of computer programming language(s) and web coding knowledge (e.g., course(s), practical experience, etc.), if any
- Brief description of statistical knowledge (e.g., course(s), practical experience, etc.), if any
- Resume or CV (PDF or Word format)
- Names of two references
Self-funded Fellows Selection Criteria
- Complete application
- Professional experience in library and information environment
- Commitment to exploring, learning, problem solving, and applying AI and emerging technologies to design equitable, accessible and inclusive library and information services
- Clearly-defined learning objectives
- Compelling personal and vision statements
- Commitment to learning web coding and statistics fundamentals during the Pre-Institute Onboarding program
- Commitment to participating in the one-week Institute, Pre-Institute Onboarding Program, and post-Institute activities
IDEA Self-funded Fellows will be chosen through a competitive selection process.
Self-funded Fellow application deadline: March 4, 2022
Notification of acceptance: March 18, 2022